Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Democracy in action

Well, those of you who read my scorecard from Tuesday's ``American Idol'' know that the vote turned out a bit differently. I wasn't surprised to see Scott in the bottom three -- I had him there -- and Nikko was fourth from the bottom on my card, so him landing in the bottom three wasn't that huge a surprise. But I wasn't entirely prepared for his being voted off. And Vonzell in the bottom three? She was third best in my view, behind Nadia and Anwar. The surprisingly safe Anthony was at the bottom of my rankings -- and those of some other viewers I have talked to. He seems to give the same performance every week, no matter what the song, and it's become tiresome in the extreme. At least Bo had the good sense to be nervous; he gave a so-so performance while a lot of other people are stepping up their game. Even Constantine, who has been lousy a lot of weeks, has proven smarter tactically than Bo, moving toward a middle-pop ground and pushing a semi-goofy personality while Bo generally sticks with what got him to the dance -- even if the music on the dance floor is changing.
I could go on about the show and the contestants -- heaven knows I spend too many hours spinning scenarios with other "Idol'' fans every week -- but it's getting late and I still want to watch tonight's "West Wing.''
So let's focus a moment in the "Idol'' telecast: We can see the padding increase as the field of contestants gets smaller. While Fantasia Barrino gave a dramatic performance, it still amounts to padding and plugging (for her CD). Most people who tune in on Wednesday want one thing and one thing alone -- the information that always seems to be after the next break.
And as difficult as it is to sit through those breaks, think how it must be for the contestants: Scott and Nikko basically had to give farewell speeches before knowing for sure if they were gone or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home