Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Goodbye, Nadia

As you know, Nadia Turner was at the top of my list of "American Idol" performers this week. But, as I said in my posting last night, the show was trying very hard to get rid of her -- and voters went along with it. I'll miss her, and I think the show will, too. She was good singer with a vibrant personality, although she made some decidedly eccentric decisions along the way. (Dare we mention the Mohawk?)
Bo Bice being in the bottom three was a mild surprise, since he has seemed to be a viewer favorite, but I had him in the bottom two of my rankings on Tuesday (along with Anthony Fedorov who not only survived but stayed out of the bottom three).
Which brings us to Scott "Once Again By the Skin of His Teeth" Savol. Bottom three for the second week in a row. And I admit that I didn't pay close attention to what may have put him there -- the sharp reply to Simon Cowell's criticism.
I've been watching "Idol" so much for so long, I don't get surprised when the occasional contestant back-talks Simon. So I missed the way Scott not only fired at Simon but at the audience of would-be "Idols" who, in Scott's view, didn't have the nerve to go on the show.
It was a bad move, first of all, because Scott's old anger-management problem is now in the national record. So any time he looks even a little unhappy, people are reminded.
As for the whole "nerve" thing, Scott apparently forgot those thousands of people who had the nerve to show up at the same Cleveland audition that he and Fedorov attended.
I was in Cleveland, too, before and during auditions. Many of the auditioners were good singers -- some better than Scott -- but were rejected for reasons that had nothing to do with ability.
The show also looks for interesting personal stories, standout personalities, unusual attitudes -- and, at least until they get to the judges, some bad singers who can be compiled into entertaining lowlight reels.
Their inability to get on the show had nothing to do with "nerve." Then think of all the singers who weren't lucky enough to live in a city where auditions were being held, or didn't have the money to get to auditions. "Nerve" was not their problem, either.
So it was easy today to find Internet postings that attacked Scott's attitude instead of his singing. When I think of the people I met at those "Idol" auditions, I get pretty ticked, too. I should have remembered them last night, when Scott stood, on national TV, and dismissed people who had started out with the same dreams he has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home