Thursday, May 12, 2005

Has ''Lost'' gotten lost?

I don't watch ''Lost'' every week. I am married to someone who does, and I keep up on plot twists that way. Still, I have checked on the show from time to time, including Wednesday's episode.
And that leads me to say: Get to the point.
What a wandering, inconclusive hour that was. I know that ''Lost'' has a big mystery behind it, and that we're supposed to get a lot of answers before the season ends, but that doesn't mean that we should have to spend an hour watching clues thrown at us with hardly anything being resolved. And was there anyone who couldn't figure out the basics of the poisoned-water plot?
It's not the first time I've come away from ''Lost'' with the feeling that I had been had, and by a fairly transparent con at that.
Compare this to ''Veronica Mars'' -- which, I know, I have been talking about too much lately -- where the mystery provided the arc from episode to episode but there were also good nuggets along the way. Clever dialogue, good character portraits, nice little plot twists. They made you think not only about what was coming the following week, but what you had enjoyed in that week.
''Lost'' doesn't offer the same level of satisfaction. It may get better (or, barring that, it may just get entertainingly goofy again). And I will keep tabs on where it's going. But if I had tuned into the show just once, and that once was Wednesday, I doubt that I would have come back.

2 Comments:

Blogger mfarrance said...

If you don't like LOST then you don't like good TV. Try watching all the episodes in order before you review it. If you still don't get it, stick to the reality shows.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Beirne said...

Every episode of a show can't reveal new truths. While we didn't learn much about the island, things changed because people learned that things were being hidden from them, like Kate being a fugitive. This will presumably add more tension to the island. We also learned more of Kate's past, including what the toy airplane meant to her.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home